Advocating for the Educational Rights of Children in Foster Care
May 3, 2016
San Diego Rooms, Lower Level
455 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
Up to 2.25 hours of MCLE offered for CA Attorneys
- Abigail Trillin, Executive Director, Legal Services for Children
- Casey Schutte, Director, FosterEd California, National Center for Youth Law
- John Nieman, Supervising Attorney, Office of Dependency Counsel
- Representing your client in educational issues such as :
- Suspensions and expulsions, including the role of dependency counsel
- Educational decision making, including parent’s counsel perspective on when to object to educational surrogate orders
- Educational rights when placements change, including school of origin projections, transportation and credits
- NCACC Members Meeting: 4:00-5:00pm
- Typical agenda items include reports of the Amicus and Policy Committees and planning future training events. The Members Meeting is free of charge and all members are welcome.
- Registration and Dinner: 5:00-5:30pm
- Training: 5:30-8:00pm
- Early Registration (deadline: Wednesday, April 27): $45
- Late Registration: $50
Directions to the Milton Marks Conference Center
In San Francisco's Civic Center, Hiram W. Johnson State Office Building 455 Golden Gate Ave., San Francisco, CA 94102-3660;
Milton Marks Conference Center: Entering from Golden Gate, walk down steps to main open foyer area (GreatHall). Find and walk down second bank of steps found to the east (left) side of hall, immediately past elevators.Entering building from McAllister, continue through building into main open foyer area (GreatHall). Entrance is found centered on the east (to your right) wall. Take steps down to lower level. The San Diego Rooms are at bottom of stairs. Please note that there are security check points at the entrances of the building.
BY PUBLIC TRANSIT
From BART/Muni Metro:
Exit the Civic Center station on the corner of Market and Hyde Streets, walk two blocks north on Hyde to McAllister, then turn left and walk one-and-one-half blocks west. The building entrance is on McAllister between Larkin and Polk Streets. OR exit the Civic Center station at Grove Street behind the Main Library and turn left, walking one block west to Larkin Street, then turn right and walk two blocks north to McAllister, then turn left and walk one-half block west.
From Caltrain: Exit the Caltrain station (at Fourth and Townsend Streets) on Fourth Street. Turn right and walk half a block to KingStreet, where you can take the N-Judah Muni Metro line to the Civic Center station. Exit the Civic Center station and follow one of the routes described above.
From the Transbay Bus Terminal: Exit the terminal (on Mission Street between First and Fremont Streets) and walk northwest one block on Fremont to Market Street. Turn right onto Market and enter the Embarcadero BART/Muni station. Take BART or Muni to the Civic Center station. Exit the Civic Center station and follow one of the routes described above.
For other bus and transit information, contact:
- San Francisco Muni, 415-673-MUNI (6864)
- Alameda-Contra Costa (AC) Transit, 510-817-1717
- Golden Gate Transit, 415-453-2100
- Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), 510-465-BART
- San Mateo County Transit (SamTrans), 800-660-4287
- All Bay Area transit systems: 510-817-1717 or www.transitinfo.org
From the South Bay:
Driving north on Highway 101, take the Ninth Street/Civic Center exit, take a left onto Ninth Street and follow it six blocks north to Market Street. Upon crossing Market Street, stay to your right and follow Larkin Street two blocks north to McAllister Street. Turn left on McAllister. Parking is on your left. The building will be on your right.
From the East Bay:
From the Bay Bridge, take the Ninth Street/Civic Center exit off Highway 80. At the end of the ramp, you will be on Harrison Street. Follow it one block west to Ninth Street and turn right. Follow Ninth Street five blocks north to Market Street. Upon crossing Market Street, stay to the right and follow Larkin Street two blocks north to McAllister Street. Turn left on McAllister. Parking is on your left. The building will be on your right.
From the North Bay:
From the Golden Gate Bridge, stay on Highway 101 and take the Lombard Street exit east to Van Ness Avenue, then turn right. Follow Van Ness south approximately 25 blocks to McAllister, and turn left. Follow McAllister one block. Parking is on your right. The building will be on your left.
No parking is available in the building. Directly across the street from the Earl Warren Building and Courthouse is the Civic Center Plaza Garage at 355 McAllister Street. Current rates are $5.00/hour or $22.50 maximum/day. Other public lots and limited metered street parking are available in the Civic Center area